Chapel of San Mamede
Chapel of Saint Mamede
Lugar Os Mártores 36645 Valga, Pontevedra
Also known as “Capela dos Martores,” it is a very simple, stone construction with a rectangular ground floor. Lacking exterior decoration, all that stands out in the main façade is a small window, which allows daylight to enter inside. At the top there is a very simple belfry, which houses the church’s only bell. Right beside the entrance is a small stone table called “Pousadoiro”.
It dates from the 4th and 5th centuries, although it underwent several renovations in the 12th and 17th centuries, as well as in 1949. It houses a Roman altar stone from the 4th century dedicated to Mercury, while the courtyard features two medieval stone sarcophagus, although there are believed to be more in the surroundings.
Some authors believe that there was a Swabian necropolis in its surroundings and that one of the possible burial places of Priscillian could be located here; he was executed in Treverorum (Trier, Germany) in the year 385 accused of heresy, along with some of his disciples. His followers considered them to be martyrs, which could explain the origin of the name “Martores.”